CLICK HERE FOR COVID-19 UPDATES
Aug 08, 2020
HOME : MEETINGS AND NOTICES

North Adams Traffic Commission Meeting

February 12, 2020
Meetings & Notices

North Adams Traffic Commission
10 Main Street
North Adams, Ma. 01247

Feb.7, 2020


The North Adams Traffic Commission will meet on Wednesday February 12, 2020 at 6:00pm in the City Council Chambers at City Hall.

1. Accept the minutes of the December 2019 meeting
2. Update on Protection Ave., measurements and proposal.
3. Sign placement on Franklin Street, Underwood letter.
4. Further discussion on Forrest St. info from City Yard follow up.
5. Discussion wording and sign design for T-T Units on side streets and forward to City Yard for ordering and placement.
6. Introduce a letter from Christopher Thomas pointing out a potential pedestrian safety issue on Church Street by the college.
7. Discussion on Pedestrian safety and street safety in general in the city- Concern submitted by Ellen Janis
8. Confirm meeting date and time for March meeting.

.


Sincerely
David Sacco
Chairperson

North Adams Traffic Commission
10 Main Street
North Adams, Ma. 01247

Minutes for February 12, 2020
Members in Attendance:
David Sacco
Jessica Sweeney
Ian Wilson
Amanda Chilson
Paul Markland

Members Absent:
Jonathan Beaudreau
MaryAnn King

Meeting Start Time: 6:02

1. Accept the minutes of the December 2019 meeting: Motion, Motion Seconded, All In Favor, Motion Passed.
2. Update on Protection Ave., measurements and proposal. 1,107 feet from fence to State Road. Paul and Dave will do follow up site visit to Protection Ave to measure a section to keep parking on easterly side in a wider section of straight away. Put this back on agenda for March meeting. Paul and Dave will make fine tune measurements
3. Sign placement on Franklin Street, Underwood letter. Being winter challenges putting signage in. When speed limit sign goes in it will be 25, thickly settled area. Follow up in Spring.
4. Further discussion on Forrest St. info from City Yard follow up. Table until spring when can have a clearer vision
5. Discussion wording and sign design for T-T Units on side streets and forward to City Yard for ordering and placement. Recommendation to place Right Turn for T-T Units Only Sign on utility pole on the bottom of Bradley if approved by National Grid. Dave will get pole number and follow up with National Grid. Check in at March meeting. A no T-T units sign at Mohawk Forest entrance may be too late of notice for driver to change route. Placement of sign directing T-T Units on Route 2 to Rt. 8 would make the most sense. Amanda will follow up with MaryAnn to contact Pat Tierney, MA DOT, about location for sign on Rt. 2 for directing T-Ts.
6. Introduce a letter from Christopher Thomas pointing out a potential pedestrian safety issue on Church Street by the college. Discussed Chrisís letter. Motion: Remove single parking space that was included in Chrisís request along Church St., after following through of specific procedures to do so. Motion seconded, all in favor. Motion passed. Check back in March Agenda
7. Discussion on Pedestrian safety and street safety in general in the city- Concern submitted by Ellen Janis
Concerns shared at meeting:
How can the community support what the City is doing to make the community safer?
Past concern- speed on Church-
Obstructed sidewalks- snow/ice, tree limbs, etc.
Feels unsafe as pedestrian in City
Scary intersections
Culture change/shift- bigger conversation about behaviors
Speed
Wants enforcement- City Hall, NAPD and neighbors
Ellen has ideas about pulling people together and having conversations, include City Hall, NAPD, and Traffic
How often are people getting ticketed on different streets?
Include a feedback loop tool that community can directly post on and be aware of outcomes, include ped. safety safe on streets
Feedback Loop
Potential Suggestions
Complete Streets/SRTS/Traffic and community have combined conversation- Amanda initiates-Follow up with Ellen
Community Walks/Bike Rides
East Main One Way- certain times/speed bumps
nbCC- Forum about transportation/safety in the City
Forward this concern to Public Safety-How get on that agenda
Vision 2030 Comp Plan how is safety included in this plan? Work with community to help set this
Further Discussion of Agenda #7 Shared:
Shannon Santelli- here to support Ellenís agenda item-City has all these working groups i.e Complete Streets, SRTS, Traffic etc. and community is unaware
Speed on East Main
Joanna Gobler- Support Ellenís agenda item-4 way stop at every intersection-specifically at the East Main St., Pleasant St. and Miner St. Intersection
Speed on East Main
Set up radar to determine if people are speeding?
Pete Milasi- question about crosswalks, specifically East Main St. When streets are redone and paved- who is responsible to see project through, from repaving to painting? Shannon Toye- because the crosswalk not repainted on East Main St. the driver that hit her son was not cited for hitting pedestrian. Can there be temporary markings to represent crosswalk?
The process when concern submitted to Traffic Commission: Request in writing by community member, recommending body, forward to Council, Council has final vote, important to have community with concern at the Council meeting for public/open forum
Can the be an active member from NAPD consistent attendance for Traffic Commission
Check in with Complete Streets how does a road project start and end?
Questions from audience oh how and where to submit agenda items, specifically
Safe Streets Pledge-include speed, shoveling, reflective gear, road painting
Motion: Recommendation for a temporary crosswalk and signage to be put in place at pre-existing crosswalk at the top of East Main at intersection, along with creating a four way stop that would include 2 additional stop signs heading easterly and westerly on East Main, and a Stop Ahead sign coming West on East Main St., Motion Seconded, All in Favor. Motion passed. Dave will draft communication for Jess to submit to City Council.
8. Confirm meeting date and time for March meeting. March 11th, 6pm, City Hall

Meeting Adjourned: 7:57
Submitted By: Amanda Chilson, Secretary

.






Back